Girl Scout destinations: Your Passport to Travel
2015 destinations to be posted soon!
A Girl Scout destination is your chance to go somewhere new, do something different, and meet people from everywhere you can imagine! Destinations is one of the greatest opportunities that Girl Scouting offers for girls ages 11 to 17. Girls Scout destinations provides girls the chance to travel across their state, the US and overseas!
Girls may apply through their council for up to four events each year. Don’t be intimated by the price of a destination. You can also raise money for your destination in many ways. (Be sure to check with council to get fundraisers approved.)
There are six categories of destinations to choose from. They include the following:
- International: Events outside of the US. This year International events include Peru, Costa Rica, Iceland, England, India, New Zealand, and Ecuador.
- Outdoors: Events ranging from outdoor learning skills to Outward Bound challenges on land or sea.
- Science: Events that take science to a new level.
- People: Events that visit cities and countrysides so you can experience the cultures of a new places.
- Apprenticeships: Events that give you hands-on, real-life experience in a potential career field.
- Getaways: Two to four day events all over the country, that don’t require the destinations application. Getaways are designed for troops or small groups.
Check out the website at girlscouts.org/forgirls/travel to learn more about destinations or to apply.
Girl Scouts USA has posted the Destinations for 2014!
WOW, they look awesome! Morocco, Maui, and Japan. Scotland, Alaska, and Australia. Acting, Photography, and Mountaineering. Surfing, Service, and Scuba. Turtles, Pandas, and Kangaroos! These Destinations have it all!
Here is the link to the new Destinations posted on the Girl Scouts USA site: http://forgirls.girlscouts.org/travel/take-a-trip/destinations/
Destinations are affordable – we offer our product & cookie sales to help, girls can fund-raise (under council guidelines), and we have council scholarships. Some destinations providers also offer scholarships. It’s never too early to start saving!
Keep in mind that the early application deadline is coming right up!
Sarah Megyesi is managing destinations for GSMW. Email Sarah at sarahm@gsmw. org, or call 1.800.736.5243 ext. 2306
Mailing address to request or return forms:Sarah Megyesi, GSLE Manager Girl Scouts of Montana and Wyoming 1018 Burlington Ave. Ste. 101 Missoula, MT 59801 Here is a basic timeline for Destinations applications and deposits:
- 1 Nov 2013
- Check with your council to see when the exact dates are for receiving applications. Your council will mail your application to the event sponsor
- 20 Nov 2013
- Early GSMW Destinations applications due to Sarah
- 28 Nov 2013
- All applications are in route to event sponsors from the applicants’ home councils
- 3 Dec 2013
- All “early” applications received by event sponsors
- 16 Jan 2014
- All applicants notified of their status for “early” applications
- 1 Feb 2014
- All deposits holding a participants’ spot are due to event sponsors for “early” applications
- 18 Feb 2014
- “Late” applications received by event sponsors
- 4 Mar 2014
- All additional applicants notified of their status. Participant status report to GSUSA by event sponsors
- 18 Mar 2014
- All “late” applicants’ deposit due to event sponsors
- (Please note that there might be some destinations that will extend the deadline if the event is not full)
Please let Sarah know if you want more Destinations promotional materials in your office, and she will be happy to send them to you.
Sarah is the liaison for Destinations (along with all GS troop/girl travel) – forward questions, applications, to Sarah.
Here is a Global Travel Guide PDF - exploration_the_girl_scout_guide_to_global_travel.Note: This is a large file and may take 1-2 minutes to download.
Click here to get started: