Check out the 2016 Girl Scout Destinations!
A Girl Scout Destination is your chance to go somewhere new, do something different, and meet people from everywhere you can imagine! Destinations is one of the greatest opportunities that Girl Scouting offers for girls ages 11 to 17. Girls Scout Destinations provides girls the chance to travel across their state, the US and overseas!
Girls may apply through their council for up to four events each year. Don’t be intimated by the price of a destination. You can also raise money for your destination in many ways. (Be sure to check with council to get fundraisers approved.)
There are six categories of destinations to choose from. They include the following:
- International: Events outside of the US. This year International events include England, Ireland, Greece, Switzerland, France, Italy, Denmark, Sweden, Namibia, Iceland, Peru and Costa Rica!
- Outdoors: Events ranging from outdoor learning skills to Outward Bound challenges on land or sea.
- Science: Events that take science to a new level.
- People: Events that visit cities and countrysides so you can experience the cultures of a new places.
- Apprenticeships: Events that give you hands-on, real-life experience in a potential career field.
- Getaways: Two to four day events all over the country, that don’t require the Destinations application. Getaways are designed for troops or small groups.
Destinations are affordable – we offer our product & cookie sales to help, girls can fund-raise (under council guidelines), and we have council scholarships. Some destinations providers also offer scholarships. It’s never too early to start saving!
If you have questions about destinations, please contact Sarah Megyesi. Email Sarah at sarahm@gsmw. org, or call 1.800.736.5243 ext. 2306.
Get your 2016 Destinations Application Form here!
Key Dates for the 2016 Destinations Application process:
November 26, 2015 – Round 1 applications due to GSMW office
December 4, 2015 – Councils ensure sponsors have received all Round 1 applications.
January 11, 2016 – All Round 1 applicants are notified of their status.
January 29, 2016 – Round 1 accepted participants must to pay a deposit to hold your place.
February 12, 2016 – Round 2 applications due to GSMW office
February 19, 2016 – Councils ensure sponsors have received all Round 2 applications
March 4, 2016 – All Round 2 applicants are notified of their status.
March 20, 2016 – Round 2 accepted participants must to pay a deposit to hold your place.
Spring 2016 – SOME event sponsors MAY offer to receive applications until trips are full.